“Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.” – Benjamin Franklin
I couldn’t agree more! Growth and progress are what keep healthy cities from becoming worn out ghost towns. Improvement, achievement, and success belong to all who desire to live well and are also some of the greatest gifts we can give to the next generation.
Des Moines is quickly evolving into an exciting and thriving destination for millenials and their families! Ensuring this process requires conscientious community development revolving around education, healthy commerce and suitable housing. It will take creative leadership with a broad range of life and business experiences to support this endeavor. I am that leader!
Tongue-in-cheek, I like to say that I would love to create a parking problem in downtown Des Moines! Evenings can produce a park-n-walk situation here and there, however, during the day I generally hope I don’t hit a tumbleweed 😉 We need daytime businesses, but we also need attractive places for them to put out their wares!
The advent of on-line shopping has brought many brick and mortar stores to their knees. Downtown Des Moines will continue to struggle if we try to provide only what people need. In order to become a destination, we need to provide an experience. Our shops, artisans, restaurants, plazas and marina need to create a day’s worth of entertainment and accommodations for the whole family. Visiting a destination town is not for fulfilling needs, but for creating memories. How do we do this?
- Create a Plan: Through collaboration with the community, stakeholders, and partners, create a plan to connect a vibrant Marina Floor (with a bustling market, recreation and entertainment) with a charming downtown corridor.
- Adopt a Theme: Engage the community and businesses in designing a theme which can easily accommodate festivals and celebrations which encourage tourism.
- Engage Partners: Through public and administrative efforts, engage financial partners in building projects, art contributions, fortifying small business, and attracting corporations.
- Streamline permitting and Development: Self-explanatory 😉
- Advertise: Through the use of social media and community support organizations, let the world know that we are here, ready to entertain, feed, accommodate and create memories!
It’s a big plan and a fantastic vision. And it is possible!