Working for a safe, green, destination community!
Serving this community as a Councilmember for the last few years has been an incredible privilege. I have met and partnered with some of the most humble, hardworking, creative, and generous people on the planet; the people of Des Moines!
As a representative of the people, I have committed myself to a boots-on-the-ground style of leadership. Engaging on social media, meeting on the phone or in person, and working together on the streets, in the parks, and supporting events, I have become an effective advocate for our citizens and businesses.
My advocacy begins in the council chambers, but has reached to more than 12 boards and committees throughout our region including:
- Economic Development Committee, Des Moines
- Municipal Facilities Committee, Des Moines
- Environment Committee, Des Moines – Chair
- Transportation Committee, Des Moines
- Senior Services Advisory, Des Moines
- Farmer’s Market Liaison, Des Moines
- Puget Sound Regional Council, Growth Management Policy Board
- King County Domestic Violence Initiative Task Force
- South King Housing and Homelessness Partners – Executive Board
- Sound Cities Association Public Issues Committee
- Soundside Alliance for Economic Development – Vice Chair
In these roles I have collaborated well with my colleagues to successfully champion a stronger police force, safer transportation, cleaner and greener parks and neighborhoods, compassionate community services, and stronger businesses.
Born in Seattle, raised in Tacoma, and transplanted to Des Moines as a young adult, I have never left the varied and stunning Puget Sound.
While dedicating my life to faith, family, friends, education, and work, I have woven community service into it all. Whether working in the jails, on the streets, supporting young people, or facilitating recovery – – helping people thrive – in my home or community – is my greatest motivation.
As a mom of four, married 38 years, and a successful businessperson, I recognize the value of collaborative, respectful relationships in moving an enterprise forward; whether it is a science project, a real estate investment, a multi-million dollar contract, or a city.